Finally, after a long time waiting, this is the Ultimate Commander Tier List for Rise of Kingdoms! Brought to you by Shinchi42. Both Epic and Legendary commanders are included.
Being divided into different categories with a detailed explanation, you will get a lot of interesting information and easily know which commanders you should focus on during the current game meta.
Legendary Commanders Tier List v3.0
Commander Tier Explanation
|S||SAVAGE tier, the very strongest commanders. Sons (or Daughters) of Gods.|
|A||Absolutely use these commanders!|
|B||Better than most other commanders!|
|C||Pretty great Commanders! Use them if you don’t have any better choice.|
|D||Great at the beginning but weak at late game.|
|F||For farming only is okay!|
- The intention of this ULTIMATE TIER LIST is to help you decide which commanders you want to INVEST in.
- It reflects my OPINION of each commander’s efficacy in multiple scenarios.
- The overall rating is far less important than the rating for each specific scenario.
- When selecting commanders you should choose based on what scenarios you want to excel in.
- Although it would be interesting to make separate lists for when the commander is primary and secondary, we’ll have to save that for potentially another day.
- With regard to open field combat, there are several factors that make a commander great: Move Speed, AOE, and number of troops. I heavily prioritize move speed over other factors because if you can’t control your position, you can frequently be either irrelevant or just dead.
- One consideration that went into these rankings is the talent trees available to each commander.
Rise of Kingdoms Tier List Infographic
Best 5 Legendary Commander for Free Players
There is always the debate among “F2P” or “Low Spender” players about which Legendary Commander we should choose and why.
To free players, it is always not easy to invest in Legendary commanders since they require a lot of resources and especially golden sculptures.
It is not impossible for everyone to use Legendary commander. You only have to focus on building a single Legendary commander until it is maxed.
You want to make sure that the commander you are working on is the best for different tasks in the game.
Important: When choosing the Civilization in Rise of Kingdoms, its special unit will become our main combat unit, therefore, the Legendary commander that we choose must be the leader for that specific type of unit: Infantry, Cavalry, or Archer.
Yi Seong-Gye (YSG) one of the most useful commanders in Rise of Kingdoms, another great option for F2P in all game modes.
Another thing that makes him excellent choices for F2P is that you can use him as the secondary commander for all commanders in the game!
YSG, we can unlock him between days 90-95 via the “Wheel of Fortune” by spending a certain amount of gems to unlock him. After that, you can just dedicate some golden sculptures, and max him out eventually. You just need to be a bit patient and optimistic.
Maxing out a Legendary commander is absolutely possible for all free-to-play players!
He is an undisputed leader in leading archer units, excellent for open-field, great garrison defender, and versatile for PVE and PVP.
“Rain of Arrows” is his active skill that causes great damage in a small radius, up to a maximum of 5 units. This skill is enhanced by his expertise “Arrow Storm” increasing his damage capacity and turning that radius into a circular shape. large scale, a fearsome ability.
“Destiny” is one of the main sources for his damage skills since it increases the skill damage by up to 50%.
As a great defender of the garrison ,”Joseon Dynasty” is impeccable for this task. The Garrison / Watchtower attack is increased by 5% while he serves as commander of the garrison.
YSG is considered one of the best commanders in Rise of Kingdoms and as F2P players is one of the best options for any task, both PVP and PVE.
- YSG has the best DPS skill in AOE, its circular radius inflicts multiple kills to various enemies in open field and rally.
- He has a fast regeneration of Rage by talents and skills.
- Good against any commander. Thanks to its high DPS.
- Excellent in both primary and secondary position.
- His versatility, talents and skills are excellent both PVP and PVE.
- He does not have any healing factor.
- His march speed is not good, the cavalry will be his worst enemy.
An incomparable leader leading cavalry unit.
A great option if you are looking for a fast DPS with a high damage capacity for both PVP and PVE.
He appears in the “Wheel of Fortune” event between days 150-155, where you can spend some gems to unlock him (get 10 sculptures), then spend the golden sculptures to max him out and have a commander for every moment of the game, all events and all tasks, excellent for PVP in open-field, undoubtedly an amazing commander.
“Chose One“, his active skill, deals huge direct damage to a single target, it is an excellent skill for PVP, even PVE.
Genghis Khan is a commander that has fast Rage regeneration, thanks to his talents of “Skills“. At the same time, his passive skill “Cyclone of the Steppes” decreases the cost of rage for the active skill and increases the march speed of the cavalry under his leadership while not in combat.
“Nomadic Empire“: While the army led by Genghis Khan is more than 70% of its strength and has only cavalry units, increases the damage caused to any enemy by 30%, one of the main skills as an expert in leading mounts. It has a magnificent damage per skill and fast regeneration of rage that make it his main combat weapon.
His expertise “Second to None” can trigger a double cast of the “Chosen One” by probability when he leads only cavalry units, one very important skill for any game mode, both PVP and PVE.
- Its active skill is powerful, it causes a lot of damage to any type of unit that we face, rapid rage regeneration and the chance to inflict this damage very often.
- As a primary or secondary commander, your leadership in cavalry is absolute and each improvement that this provides to this unit is very effective in open-field.
- Excellent for PVE events like “Ceroli Crisis”, “Arms Training”, “Race Against Time” and “Karuak Ceremony”.
- Its great damage capacity makes it a good choice for PVP and PVE.
- He has no AOE skill damage, only single target.
- He has no healing factor.
- Genghis Khan does not have a great resistance so he is not ideal for long battles.
Richard I is definitely one of the most powerful commanders in the game.
His exceptional robustness makes him a strong leader and expert in leading infantry units.
Richard I is one of the best options for F-2-P, thanks to his rapid appearance in any kingdom and his excellent performance in both Open-Field and Garrison. Right on days 35-40 he first appears in the “Wheel of Fortune” event and players can spend some gems to obtain it. Then, dedicate all of the golden sculptures you have to maximize his skills.
It is one of the most used commanders and the best option for the first KvK event due to his excellent resistance.
“Soul of the Crusaders” is his active skill, which provides a strong debuff to the enemies in term of damage reduction.
At the same time, “Chivalry” increases the damage reduction coming towards units led by Richard and this effect applies to all unit types as long as Richard serves as the garrison commander.
“The Lionheart” is his expert skill for infantry, increasing the attack and defense of infantry by a maximum of 15%, followed by “Battle” Hardened” which improves the healing effect on Richard by 30% and the attack that our watchtower suffers while Richard leads the garrison is reduced to a maximum of 30%.
“Tyrannical Lion“, his expertise skill, reduces much more the damage suffered by his army in battles and applies a debuff of damage and march speed to the cavalry units, which will be his main objective in combat.
- Infantry Commander with great defense and resistance, ideal for long battles or position holding.
- Excellent infantry leader for open-field and garrison protection.
- He has a great healing factor in combat as an active skill, very good for any combat both PvP and PvE.
- His skills and talents make him one of the best infantry commanders for PVP.
- In events like “Sunset Canyon” and “Golden Kingdom” it is one of the best options to achieve victory.
- He is slow, it is not an option to flee from a battle.
- He does not have direct damage skill.
Charles Martel is a great infantry commander, tough, and has very good buffs for this type of unit.
We can unlock him in the tavern with the “Golden Keys” on any day of the kingdom. However the probability is pretty low so you still want to spend some of your golden sculptures to him, even maximize it thanks to its excellent effectiveness in PVP and as a great choice for F2P.
“Shield of France” is his active skill, providing strong resistance, dealing direct damage, and at the same time while this effect lasts, it increases the damage of his units up to a maximum of 30%.
“Heavy Infantry” increases the defense and health of the infantry units under his command, as infantry leader, his buffs are very good.
Martel is one of the best options in Rise of Kingdoms to defend any type of garrison, thanks to his excellent resistance as a leader, talents, and his skill “The Uncrowned King” that increases watchtower’s defense by a maximum of 10% and the damage that Garrison any enemy.
Being a fearsome defensive commander, his skill “Martel’s Counterattack” increases his counterattack damage by 30% maximum, undoubtedly one of his best skills, any commander who faces Martel will be affected by a great blow of this.
“Rise from the Ashes” increases the defense, health, and march speed of the infantry units led by Martel, one of the best skills for open-field commanders of this type.
- Infantry Commander with great defense and resistance, ideal for long battles or position holding.
- His active skill absorbs large amounts of damage from enemies, strong protection.
- His impeccable defense is very effective in whatever form he uses (Garrison or Open Field).
- Boost and improve the defense of any structure it defends; this makes it a fearsome Garrison defender.
- He is slow, he is not a great option to flee from a battle.
- Martel has no talents or PvE skills, although he is resistant, he is not the one for this role.
- Does not have a healing factor for troops.
Cao Cao is the best option for F2P that we have if you want to use a Civilization with special cavalry units, even his versatility is great for any type of choice.
We can obtain him right in the tavern of our city with the “Golden Keys” on any day of the kingdom. Although the chance of getting his sculptures is pretty low, you can absolutely invest your golden sculptures on him, and even maximize him. Thanks to his excellent effectiveness in PVE and PVP, great choice for F2P.
He has the superb talent trees and skills that make him the fastest commander in the game, excellent for chasing and fleeing any battle, as well as the enhancements he provides to the cavalry units under his leadership.
“Dragon Rider” is the active skill that causes a lot of damage. In addition, it further reduces the damage of the target by 40% and march speed by 10%, a great skill in general.
Cao Cao has a very good skill for PVE, skill “The Qingzhou Army” increases the damage done to neutral units by 50%, ideal for defeating barbarian forts and barbarian on the map.
“Tiger Knight“, one of the best passive skills for cavalry, increasing Cavalry March Speed by 10%, Cavalry Attack by 30%.
Cao Cao provides a healing factor to his units in combat and a rapid rage restoration, thanks to his skill “Lofty Ambition“.
The expertise skill “Emperor Wu of Wei” increases cavalry attack by 25% and decreases troop defense by 10%.
- Cavalry Commander, his talents and skills make him “the fastest commander in the game“, perfect for chasing enemies or quickly fleeing from battle.
- His active skill is powerful, causing a lot of damage to any type of unit that you face.
- He has a troop healing factor.
- His versatility, talents, and skills are excellent both PVP and PVE.
- He has no AOE skill, only single target.
- Being a fast commander, we are held back in “Hold Position” combats since the best weapon, speed, cannot be used in this situation.
- The infantry is his worst enemy. Cao Cao does not have great resistance and this causes him a lot of damage in long battles.
In Short, The Best 5 Commanders in ROK Right Now are:
- Yi Seong-Gye
Hopefully you have found this article helpful. Feel free to comment below and show us your own opinions regarding to how the tier list should be!