France | The Immortal Hammer
Infantry | Garrison | Defense
This commander is available in Tavern and shopping chests for any Kingdom.
- Legendary Infantry Commander, Charles Martel is one of the most defensive commanders in the game, both at Garrison and Open Field.
- His talents and skills make him a Tank commander. It has a high defense, fearsome for any enemy it faces, even any city it protects.
- Martel is a born defender in all his game modes, he will not be the perfect commander to quickly defeat enemies in Open Field or Garrison, but he will be the perfect commander to defend each of these positions to which he is assigned.
- His role as a commander in both the Primary and Secondary game is excellent, he performs as a unique commander in his style thanks to the effectiveness he has in any situation or task that we assign him.
Advantages & Disadvantages
- Infantry Commander with great defense and resistance, ideal for long battles.
- Its active skill absorbs large amount of damage from our enemies, strong protection.
- His impeccable defense is very effective in whatever form he uses (Garrison or Open Field).
- Boost and improve the defense of any structure it defends; this makes it a fearsome Garrison defender.
- It is slow, it will be slowed down in multiple ways if we want to escape.
- It does not have an active damage skill; it simply boosts the base damage of our infantry units.
- Martel has no talents or PVE skills, although he is resistant, he is not the one for this role.
- Does not have a healing factor for troops.
Charles Martel’s Skills
Shield of Francia
|Charles activates a shield that can absorb massive damage for the next 4 seconds. Also increases troops’ damage while the shield is active.|
|Increases infantry units’ defense and health.|
The Uncrowned King
|Increases watchtower defense and garrison damage when this commander is serving as a garrison commander.|
Watchtower Defense Bonus
2% / 4% / 6% / 8% / 10%
Garrison Attack Bonus
2% / 4% / 6% / 8% / 10%
|Increases troops’ counterattack damage.|
Counterattack Damage Bonus
10% / 15% / 20% / 25% / 30%
Rise from the Ashes
|Increases infantry units’ defense by 20%, health by 20%, and march speed by 20%.|
Recommended Charles Martel Talent Trees
Our city in Rise of Kingdoms will be the main pillar of our development and our civilization, it needs a “Defending Shield” that protects our resources and troops from any enemy. Charles Martel is one of the most important commanders in this task and the bearer of that “Defending Shield”.
When choosing Martel as our Garrison defender, we must bear in mind that his talents are focused solely on this task, it will not be a versatile talent assignment in Open Field or any other type of battle, it will simply be to exceptionally protect any Fortress or City thanks to these and a powerful Passive Skill “The Uncrowned King” that will effectively increase our defenses.
- Impenetrable Fortifications: When this commander is serving as garrison commander, damage taken by the garrison from the attacking army is reduced by 6%.
- Empty Fortress Stratagem: While this commander is serving as garrison commander, increases dealt to attacking armies by 6%. Martel will hit our enemies even harder while commanding our Garrison.
- Impregnable: When this commander is serving as garrison commander, skill damage taken by the garrison is reduced by 15%. Excellent talent against high damage commanders in skills such as Genghis Khan, Saladin, Guan Yu, etc.
- Nowhere to Turn: When this commander is serving as garrison commander, grants an additional 6 rage every time the city is attacked. Our active skill will have less cooldown thanks to this talent.
- Adamantine Walls: Increases watchtower defense by 15% when this commander is serving as a garrison commander. The Watchtower are the main defense of any city in Rise of Kingdoms, with this talent we will enhance their defenses for greater durability when we are being attacked.
- City Guardian: Increases watchtower attack by 15% when this commander is serving as a garrison commander. We will enhance the damage of our watchtower; the enemy casualties will be much greater.
- Kings Guard: Increases garrison attack, defense and health by 3% when this commander is serving as garrison commander (no effect when garrisoning cities). Excellent talent to improve the defense, resistance and attack of our troops garrisoned in Fortresses and Flags. Emphasize again that it does not work when we defend Cities.
- Know Thy Enemy: While this commander is serving as garrison commander, damage reduction effect is enhanced by 9% if the garrison becomes surrounded. When more than two attackers come after Martel garrisoned in his defenses, he will have a damage reduction of 9%, very good.
- Divine Favor: When this commander is serving as garrison commander, gives the garrison a 10% chance to receive damage-absorbing shield (Damage Factor 500) after being attacked. A last talent that will be by probability, however, it is worth this risk for the great absorption of damage that we can have thanks to this new defensive skill.
- No Weaknesses: Reduces damage taken by 1.5%. Martel much more defensive.
- Burning Blood: Grants an additional 6 rage every time this commander’s troop are attacked. “Burning Blood” + “Nowhere to Turn” = 12 additional rage when Martel is attacked.
- Master Armorer: When troops led by this commander enter battle, increases defense by (1.5% X Commander Star Level) %. Multiplying the maximum possible star, 6 x 1.5 = 9% Defense for our troops. Excellent!
- Spiked Armor: Increases counterattack damage dealt by 1.5%.
- Loose Formation: Reduces skill damage taken by 9%. “Loose Formation” + “Impregnable” + No Weaknesses” = 25.5 Damage Skill Reduction. Very Good!
- This time we will not use any of the talents of “Infantry”.
When taking into account these capabilities for our Build, we must know that Martel will only be a defender of Cities, Fortresses and Flags, his skills and talents will make this a respectable commander and difficult to defeat in any of his defensive forms. He is undoubtedly one of the best Garrison commanders in the game and you should know how to take advantage of him in this way.
Open Field Build
Martel as an infantry commander his talents in Open Field will be oriented to the defense and resistance of his troops making this a Tank army. It has skills that greatly enhance the attack of our Infantry such as its active skill “Shield of France” which absorbs a certain amount of damage and in turn improves the attack of our units.
“Heavy Infantry” is a passive skill that will make Martel a very resistant commander to any type of damage thanks to the gains of important statistics such as Defense and Health and his Ultimate skill “Rise from the Ashes” will make him a fearsome commander, any battle we face in Open Field, do not fear, Martel’s shield will defend us.
- This time we will not use any of the talents of “Garrison”. These are focused on defending Cities, Flags and Fortresses.
- Spiked Armor: Increases counterattack damage dealt by 1.5%. Our damage in battles will be much more effective.
- Burning Blood: Grants an additional 6 rage every time this commander’s troop are attacked. Martel in Open Field has a much higher probability of restoring Rage since it can be attacked by several enemies, this will help a quick reuse of our active skill.
- Master Armorer: When troops led by this commander enter battle, increases defense by (1.5% Commander Star Level) %. Multiplying the maximum possible star, 6 x 1.5 = 9% Defense for our troops. Excellent!
- Loose Formation: Reduces skill damage taken by 9%. Resistance to enemy skills very useful against direct damage commanders.
- Balance: Reduces damage taken by 3%, but also reduces damage dealt by 1.5%. We might see it as a double-edged sword, but Martel is an Infantry-Defensive commander, it’s worth sacrificing 1.5% damage to gain 3% defense. We will have a dominant Open Field resistance.
- Iron Spear: Infantry units led by this commander deal an additional 9% damage to cavalry units. Martel is a leading infantry commander, ideal for fighting and defeating units and cavalry commanders, this talent will be essential if we fight against these.
- Undying Fury: Normal attacks grant an additional 9 rage. “Undying Fury” + “Burning Blood” = 15 additional rage.
- Double-Headed Axe: Increases normal attack damage by 1.5%. An extra damage gain for our troops.
- Call of the Pack: When the army led by this commander has been reduced to 50% strength, increases defense of all troops by 6%. This talent is perfect for long battles, it will make our commander and troops stay much longer fighting thanks to this defense gain.
- Strong of Body: Increases health of infantry units by 6%. We will have an infantry with much more health in “Open Field”.
- Fleet of Food: Increases march speed of Infantry units by 6%. This 6% will be useful to accelerate our pace, it can help us in multiple defensive and offensive situations.
- Hold the Line: When the army led by this commander contains only infantry units, gives troops a 10% chance to reduce damage taken by 20% for the next 2 seconds after being attacked. Excellent!
- Snare of Thorns: Gives normal attacks a 10% chance to reduce target march speed by 20% for the next 2 seconds. Even if it is by probability, it can be very useful if we pursue an enemy while attacking it.
- Elite Soldiers: When the army led by this commander contains only infantry units, attack, defense and health are increased by 2.5%. Perfect! We should only use infantry units; Martel will take care of the rest.
Open Field will be one of our most frequent scenarios in Rise of Kingdoms, if we decide to play with Infantry Civilizations it is highly recommended to use Martel as a primary as well as secondary commander. His performance on the battlefield is magnificent and we will have some of the best infantry commanders in the game.
Best Commanders Pairings for Charles Martel
Recommended Equipment for Charles Martel
|22 Days||Cavalry Defense +3%|
Infantry Defense +5%
Archer Defense +5%
|3.5 Days||Infantry Health +2%|
Archer Defense +2%
Damage to Barbarians +3%
|14 Days||Infantry Attack +3%|
Archer Health +3%
Commander EXP Gain +3%
|18 Days||Cavalry Health +2%|
Infantry Health +1%
March Speed +3%
|14 Days||Infantry Defense + 3%|
Archer Defense +3%
Commander EXP Gain +3%
|15 Days||Cavalry Health +2%|
Infantry Defense +1%
March Speed +3%
|Total||86.5 Days||Attack + 3% + 2% Bonus|
Defense + 9%
Health + 4%
March Speed + 6%